Deadline: November 21, 2022.
California Humanities Rising Journalist Fellowship Program 2023
California Humanities Rising Journalist Fellowship program is a statewide initiative designed to assist amplify the voices and views of scholar journalists enrolled at California neighborhood faculties. The fellowship program gives college students with monetary stipends and alternatives for enhanced journalism coaching in help of California’s subsequent era of journalists.
California Humanities Rising Journalist Fellowships Present:
• As much as $15,000 per campus for scholar stipends, school help, programming prices, and so forth.• Participation in a statewide cohort of scholar journalists• Coaching and mentoring from skilled journalists• Assist to conduct in-depth reporting tasks
Along with monetary help, fellows obtain enhanced coaching in areas resembling podcasting, neighborhood engaged journalism, media literacy, and mentoring from skilled journalists. As a part of the fellowship, college students will suggest and conduct an in-depth reporting mission on regional problems with significance with steering from school and mentors. The statewide cohort of fellows will convene nearly—or when attainable, in-person throughput the fellowship interval. Conferences will embody a kick-off occasion for all fellows and college in January 2023, often scheduled check-ins with advisors and mentors, and for a culminating occasion with mission shows in late spring and summer season 2023. The convenings present alternatives for college kids to make connections and share their work, mirror on their function as journalists, and be taught sensible abilities from professionals and each other.
Who Can Take part?
Tutorial departments, applications, and institutes at California neighborhood faculties might apply to take part within the Rising Journalist Fellowships program. Eligible departments embody, however aren’t restricted to, Journalism, Communications, Media Research and Media Manufacturing, English, or every other related program targeted on media literacy or using journalistic practices inside curriculum. These departments and applications are accountable for administering the fellowships at their campuses in alignment with the initiative’s general targets throughout the Spring 2023 semester.
As much as 4 fellows could also be chosen from every campus, both via an software course of or recruited by school in line with institutional or departmental priorities. A school advisor should present oversight and facilitate the participation of the fellows and a humanities advisor ought to be enlisted to supply social, cultural, historic perspective for college kids as they conduct reporting tasks. We search scholar individuals who will signify the racial, cultural, financial, and geographic range of the state and which are keen about collaborating as a part of a statewide academic cohort.
What Are the Necessities for Participation?
If chosen to take part within the Fellowship, neighborhood faculties companions can be requested to:
• Collaborate with California Humanities, school from collaborating campuses, and different companions within the implementation of a program designed to serve a statewide scholar cohort;
• Choose as much as 4 college students to take part as Journalism Fellows;
• Administer Fellowships in alignment with the acknowledged targets and intent;
• Attend and take part in planning conferences and convenings of Fellows;
• Enlist a humanities advisor with experience related to college students’ reporting tasks to supply context and perspective;
• Host a public presentation (digital or in-person) of Fellows’ reporting tasks for campus and neighborhood audiences;
• Present full-resolution copies of scholar work produced as a part of the Fellowship and collaborate with California Humanities on exhibition, distribution, and promotional alternatives as out there;
• Collaborate on program analysis, together with submitting accomplished participant surveys and collaborating in a dialogue with California Humanities on the mission conclusion concerning the deserves of this system and potential subsequent steps.
To use for the California Humanities Rising Journalist Fellowship program, please present transient written responses to the next prompts by November 21, 2022. Responses ought to be not more than two pages in size whole.• Present a short description of your present program and the neighborhood and college students that you simply serve. Embrace data heading in the right direction choices and any particular areas of focus.• Clarify how the Fellowship will complement your program and/or whether or not it’s going to help you supply new actions or innovate in different methods.• Present the identify, title, and make contact with data for the school member who will supervise the Fellowships at your campus.• Present the identify, title, and make contact with data for the administrator who will approve the fellowship award (e.g., President, Dean, Division Chair, and so forth.)• Present a short price range explaining how you plan to allocate as much as $15,000 as a part of the Fellowship. Instance:
4 Fellowships @ $2,500 = $10,000School advisor help = $2,000Visitor speaker charges = $500Humanities advisor charge: $500Programming prices: $500Supplies and provides: = $1,000
Please ship the requested data by Monday, November 21, 2022 to:
John LightfootDirector of Media & Journalism PackagesCalifornia Humanities[email protected]415.391.1474 ext. 314
For extra data, please click on right here